The statistics on Human Trafficking are overwhelming.
- 100,000 girls and women are trafficked into Western Europe every year
- Trafficking for sexual exploitation generates US 27.8 billion per year
- There are 1.39 million victims of commercial sexual servitude worldwide
- Ukraine is currently one of the largest ‘exporters of women’ to the international sex industry
- Greece is known as “the centre for trafficking in Europe”, with an estimated 800,000 people trafficked across its borders every year
Human trafficking is the second largest global organized crime today. The growth of trafficking women from Eastern and Southern Europe into Western Europe over the past 20 years has been unparalleled anywhere else on the globe.
In a large city in Ukraine that we visited personally we encountered entire communities of abandoned mothers and children living in very poorly serviced high rise flats. In one teacher’s primary school class of 38 children there was only one family who had a father at home. Such vulnerability can be the 21st Century slave trader’s utopia.
Sustainable Solutions for Vulnerable Children and Women
Our Partners in Eastern and Southern Europe offer us the opportunity to take some very practical action amongst the children and women who are vulnerable and at risk of trafficking.
Young girls are often taken from families living in desperate poverty. The expectation of a better life in a foreign land is a lure caring families are unlikely to resist.
- Our Partners are pioneering preventative education in schools and rural areas and a resource centre for groups and communities with those at risk in their midst.
Prison often becomes a springboard for women into Human Trafficking. Women leave prison with little self-esteem, a strong survival instinct, a poor circle of ‘friends’ and the hope of a brighter future. These are excellent conditions for the growth of trafficking.
- Our Partners are pioneering work within prisons, rehabilitation and resettlement. They are offering sustainable long term solutions for women at risk to get on their feet and create a better life for themselves within a local community.
But they can’t do it alone! That’s why PovertySwap is able to link you with their work and co-ordinate your effort/your group’s effort to really change the course of vulnerable lives.
Get involved with us and Make It Happen
- Join a Team Trip
- Share your skills
Contact Us and Stop Vulnerable Daughters Being Trafficked